Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine
Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky 1896—2022

Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky

1896—2022

Status

Completely Destroyed

Amount required

UAH 86,4 million
*The amount is not final and requires clarification, which is possible only after the examination
Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky 1896—2022
Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky 1896—2022

Description of the institution

The building in the pseudo-gothic style was built at the end of the 19th century for the craft workshop of the orphanage. The renovation was completed in 1901. At the same time, the collection of Tarnovsky, which was located in Kyiv and Chernigov, began to be brought to the museum. The museum was opened to visitors in 1902. In 1906 he was named after Tarnovsky.

Since 1978, the Chernihiv Regional Library for Youth has been operating in the building. The building is included in the list of historical monuments of local importance. The collection of Vasil Tarnovsky is kept by the Chernihiv Regional Historical Museum.

Interesting Facts

The Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities was established in Chernihiv at the end of the 19th century. Its founder was a famous patron and collector Vasyl Tarnovsky Jr. Tarnowski himself divided the meeting into three sections: prehistoric, grand ducal and Cossack. The first two consisted mainly of archaeological excavations of the ancient Russian city of Roden (modern Cherkasy region), carried out at the expense of Tarnowski. The Cossack department of the collection was extraordinary in size and composition. In addition to antiquities, Vasyl Tarnovsky collected everything related to the life and work of Taras Shevchenko.

Destruction

On March 11, 2022, the museum was destroyed by rocket fire by the Russian army. According to the museum's director Serhiy Laevsky, the museum building survived the Bolshevik shelling of 1918-1919 and survived World War II, but it was destroyed during the Russian invasion.

What will the money be used for?

The amount of UAH 86 400 000 includes the complete reconstruction of the building. We will also spend UAH 5 400 000 from these funds on conducting research and design works that will determine the full scope of work necessary to restore the building.

Status

Completely Destroyed

Amount required

UAH 86,4 million
*The amount is not final and requires clarification, which is possible only after the examination

Contacts

83 Smolenskaya Street, Chernihiv, Chernihiv Region

News

July 30, 2022

Exhibition "Rashism=Fascism. Chernihiv in 1941-2022" opened in Chernihiv Historical Museum named after Vasily Tarnovsky

In the exposition, as a trivatime of a few months, the lattices of the Russian armor, harness, and uniforms of the Russian military, as if on the hour of the full-scale offensive on the 24th of the fierce, entered the territory of Chernigivshchyna.
March 11, 2022

The VV Tarnovsky Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities was destroyed as a result of shelling by the Russian army

The destruction of the museum building is a result of shelling by the Russian army
1933

The Shevchenko collection was removed from the VV Tarnovsky Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities

1923

1923 - Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky

Five Chernihiv museums merge into the Chernihiv State Museum, including the Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities
1922

1922 - Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky

Opening of the museum in a specially built building
November 14, 1896

November 14, 1896 - Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities named after Tarnovsky

The museum was founded