Description of the institution
The building in the pseudo-gothic style was built at the end of the 19th century for the craft workshop of the orphanage. The renovation was completed in 1901. At the same time, the collection of Tarnovsky, which was located in Kyiv and Chernigov, began to be brought to the museum. The museum was opened to visitors in 1902. In 1906 he was named after Tarnovsky.
Since 1978, the Chernihiv Regional Library for Youth has been operating in the building. The building is included in the list of historical monuments of local importance. The collection of Vasil Tarnovsky is kept by the Chernihiv Regional Historical Museum.
The Museum of Ukrainian Antiquities was established in Chernihiv at the end of the 19th century. Its founder was a famous patron and collector Vasyl Tarnovsky Jr. Tarnowski himself divided the meeting into three sections: prehistoric, grand ducal and Cossack. The first two consisted mainly of archaeological excavations of the ancient Russian city of Roden (modern Cherkasy region), carried out at the expense of Tarnowski. The Cossack department of the collection was extraordinary in size and composition. In addition to antiquities, Vasyl Tarnovsky collected everything related to the life and work of Taras Shevchenko.
On March 11, 2022, the museum was destroyed by rocket fire by the Russian army. According to the museum's director Serhiy Laevsky, the museum building survived the Bolshevik shelling of 1918-1919 and survived World War II, but it was destroyed during the Russian invasion.
What will the money be used for?
The amount of UAH 86 400 000 includes the complete reconstruction of the building. We will also spend UAH 5 400 000 from these funds on conducting research and design works that will determine the full scope of work necessary to restore the building.